The Self Storage Association’s Board of Directors created an industry charitable and educational organization in 2006, under Section 501-c-3 of the Internal Revenue Code, to be known as the SSA Foundation (SSAF).
It shall be the Mission of the SSAF to provide timely, accurate industry information, communication and exceptional educational experiences for SSA members and owner-operators and investors across the United States and in affiliated nations. The SSAF will sponsor a "SSA Foundation Forum", and a general session executive education program at both national SSA conferences and conventions on topical and cutting-edge topics of interest to the industry at-large. Also, SSAF will provide information, education and training as to the SSA-adopted "Code of Ethics" and by promoting respect for the anti-trust laws of the United States and foreign nations that must be adhered to by all companies involved in this industry. The Board of the Foundation is authorized to recognize accomplishments, achievements and significant landmarks within the industry, including serving as the Nominating Body of persons to the SSA Board for annual induction into the Self Storage "Hall of Fame". The Board of the Foundation may from time to time acknowledge persons both inside and outside the industry who have contributed to the betterment of the industry by way of special awards and recognitions. Also, the SSAF will make charitable contributions to worthy causes, efforts and for educational purposes on behalf of the self storage industry.
SSA Foundation Board of Governors
- John Gilliland, Co-Chair, Investment Real Estate LLC,
- William F. Kenney, Co-Chair, All American Self Storage
- Nancy Martin Wagner, Secretary, Chateau Products Inc.
- Robert Schoff, Treasurer, National Self Storage Management Inc.
- Michael A. Nunez, Liaison to the Board, A+ Mini Storage
- Paul Darden, Darden Interests
- Joanne Geiler, SoCal Self Storage, LLC
- Nancy Gunning, Chesapeake Resources
- Barry Hoeven, Westport Properties Inc.
- Dean Keller, Bancap Self Storage Group
- Maurice Pogoda, Pogoda Management Co.
- Patrick Reilly, Urban Self Storage
- Kenneth Woolley, Extra Space Storage
The Foundation will serve several key functions as an adjunct to the national Association:
- It will function as the primary funding provider for research and development of a continuing stream of new SSA educational programs, high technology tools and Web-based solutions for owner-operators of self storage facilities.
- The Board of Governors of the SSAF will solicit and collect nominations of individuals to be considered for induction into the SSA’s self storage "Hall of Fame" and will make final recommendations to the SSA Board of Directors; in addition, the Foundation Board can recommend other appropriate or special recognition of industry leaders and persons who have provided exceptional service, or special assistance, to the self storage industry.
- The Foundation will be responsible for maintaining and promoting a responsible "Code of Ethics" for owner-operators of self storage facilities as well as providing current information on, and promoting compliance with, the anti-trust laws of the United States, its individual states, and those of other affiliated nations.
- SSAF will promote an international exchange of information about self storage and cooperation among nations on issues of mutual interest via the national organizations representing self storage owners, operators and investors in those countries.
- The Board of Governors may approve donations of Foundation funds to worthwhile charitable efforts or organizations on behalf of the self storage industry.
- The Foundation will raise the funds necessary via voluntary contributions from individuals, corporations, other foundations and government grants in furtherance of its overall mission. Also, the SSA will provide a convenient contribution check-off mechanism for soliciting SSAF donations as part of its dues renewal notices each fall.
The SSAF Research Project
"The Baby Boomer Generation: How Their Retirement Will Affect the Future of the Self Storage Industry"
The SSA Foundation contracted with noted opinion analyst Peter Hart (the Wall Street Journal's & NBC News' pollster) to conduct a detailed study, and video-taped focus groups, of baby boomers and how their impending retirement will impact upon our industry. The resultant 79-page study (with charts & graphs) details how baby boomers plan to face retirement, including moving, downsizing their residence and what they plan to do with all their possessions. It is a fascinating piece of research that will serve our industry well over the next decade.