Self Storage Association Foundation (SSAF)
The Self Storage Association’s Board of Directors created an industry charitable and educational organization in 2006, under Section 501-c-3 of the Internal Revenue Code, to be known as the SSA Foundation (SSAF).
It shall be the mission of the SSAF to provide timely, accurate industry information, communication and exceptional educational experiences for SSA members
2024 SSA Foundation Board of Governors
Xercor Insurance Servies, LLC
Laurie Shader Smith
Person Mini Storage
The William Warren Group
Santa Monica, CA
Walnut Creek, CA
Knightsbridge Realty Capital, Inc.
Newport Beach, CA
Investment Real Estate, LLC
York , PA
All American Storage
San Mateo, CA
National Storage Affiliates (NSA)
Greenwood Village, CO
Urban Self Storage
Store Here Storage
Extra Space Storage
Salt Lake City, Utah
The Foundation and its programs serve as an adjunct to the national Self Storage Association (SSA) primarily focusing on providing robust educational opportunities to our members and serving as the charitable arm of the association.
- The Foundation runs a College Scholarship Program that awards scholarships to national SSA member employees and their families to assist those working in the self storage industry in furthering their education.
- The Foundation sponsors an educational speaker during the general session at the SSA Spring and Fall Conference. “The Foundation Forum” feature speakers delivering cutting-edge, topical industry focused content that benefit our members and their businesses.
- The Foundation is responsible for maintaining and promoting a responsible “Code of Ethics” for owner-operators of self storage facilities as well as providing information on anti-trust laws of the United States.
- The SSA Foundation Board of Governors along with the SSA Board of Directors provide oversight and educational content to the Self Storage Association monthly magazine.
- The Foundation aims to provide research and development to the self storage industry including educational programs, high technology tools and web-based solutions for owner-operators of self storage facilities.
SSAF Research Project
"The Baby Boomer Generation: How Their Retirement Will Affect the Future of the Self Storage Industry"
The SSA Foundation contracted with noted opinion analyst Peter Hart (the Wall Street Journal's & NBC News' pollster) to conduct a detailed study, and video-taped focus groups, of baby boomers and how their impending retirement will impact upon our industry. The resultant 79-page study (with charts & graphs) details how baby boomers plan to face retirement, including moving, downsizing their residence and what they plan to do with all their possessions. It is a fascinating piece of research that will serve our industry well over the next decade.
- The SSA Board of Governors recognizes accomplishments, achievements and significant contributions within the self storage industry serving as the nomination body for annual Self Storage Hall of Fame.
- The SSA Board of Governors may acknowledge persons both inside and outside the industry who have contributed to the betterment of the industry by special awards and recognition through the Barry Hoeven Memorial Award and the Michael T. Scanlon Jr. Award.
- The SSA Foundation Board of Governors may approve donations of Foundation funds to worthwhile charitable efforts or organizations on behalf of the self storage industry.
- The Foundation raises funds for its mission from voluntary donations from individuals, corporations and other organizations.