March 18, 2020
Dear SSA Members,
The self storage community was to have met this week in San Antonio for the 2020 SSA Spring Conference & Trade Show. Since our March 5th announcement to change course, this cancellation has been overshadowed by the significant disruptions to our personal and professional lives, with many uncertainties remaining in the near and long-term.
COVID-19 developments are evolving rapidly and, in many cases, are unique to the respective localities and states of our members, or the federal government. Below are some updates regarding the Self Storage Association’s response, as well as links to current information on challenges affecting our sector.
Employee & Tenant Decisions
- As the forum for the self storage industry, we encourage an open dialogue regarding best practices that companies are implementing with respect to real-time workforce issues and treatment of customer situations. Some SSA members have generously shared their current operational choices here.
- Our legal team is working to support informed business decisions with respect to the recent emergency declarations and tenant-related practices. Recent decisions made by officials can place restrictions on your pricing/rent structure. Read more here.
SSA Event Cancellations
- In consideration of various recommendations and mandates — including the March 15th guidelines released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — SSA-managed state conferences during this period will be cancelled or postponed. These include events planned in Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey and Ohio. The CDC guidelines regarding the next 8 weeks can be found on the CDC website.
- SSA’s Valuation & Acquisition Course, originally scheduled for May 11th-13th in the Washington, DC, region, will be rescheduled.
- Refunds and/or credits associated with the cancellation of this week’s Spring Conference & Trade Show will be processed over the next several weeks. Thank you for your patience as our team works to administer the various items associated with the conference.
The SSA team is here to serve you as we meet these challenges together. Stay current through the SSA’s website and our social media.
Timothy J. Dietz
SSA President & CEO